Beard, C (2008) Experiential Learning: The Development of a Pedagogic Framework for Effective Practice, Doctoral Thesis, PhD by publication, Sheffield Hallam University
Click here to see the overarching thesis from 2008
Books: BUY BOOKS
Beard, C & Wilson, J (2018) (4th edition) Experiential Learning: A Practical Guide for Training, Coaching and Education, London, Kogan Page….go to the Kogan Page website and type in AHREL20 and get 20% discount.
Beard, C & Wilson, J (2013) (3rd edition) Experiential Learning: A Handbook for Training, Educating, and Coaching, London, Kogan Page.
Beard, C (2013) Sensory Intelligence for Learning and Self-Development, Audio Book, Promethius Audio Publications.
Beard, C (2010) The experiential learning toolkit: blending practice with concepts, London, Kogan Page. ISBN 978-0-7494-50786. 274 pages.
Beard, C & Wilson, J (2006) Experiential Learning: A Best Practice Handbook for Trainers and Educators, London, Kogan Page. A THIRD EDITION IS BEING DEVELOPED.
Beard, C & Wilson, J (2002) The Power of Experiential Learning, London, Kogan Page.
Beard, C., Wilson, J., & Wong, E (2002) Powerful Experiential Learning, Top Human, Zhongshan University Press, China. (as an adjusted translation).
Swarbrooke, J., Beard, C et al., (2003) Adventure Tourism – The New Frontier, Butterworth- Heinemann, London.
Sample of Book Chapters
Beard, C (2015) Experiential learning: towards a multi-disciplinary approach, in International Handbook of Outdoor Studies, Routledge International Handbook series, Humberstone, B., Prince, H., & Henderson, K. (Eds), London, Routledge.
Beard, C (2014) Mapping the Experience Journey, in (Eds) Strategic Event Creation, Oxford, Goodfellow.
Beard, C & Malkki, K (2013) Student transformation and the Interaction between the Epistemological and Ontological Tracks: The Wider Project of Higher Education?, in Tirri, K., & Kuusisto, E., (Eds) Interaction in Educational Domains, Rotterdam, Sense Publishing.
Beard, C & Goode, M (2013) Contributing to a More Sustainable World? Business Product Innovation and the development of an Industrial Ecology, in Atfield, R & Kemp, P, (Eds) Enhancing education for sustainable development in Business and Management, Hospitality, Leisure, Marketing, Tourism’. York: The Higher Education Academy.
Beard, C & Price, I (2012) Spaces that change people and organisations, in Wilson, J.P (Editor) International Human Resource Development, London, Kogan Page.
Beard, C (2012) Spatial ecologies: learning and working environments that change people and organisations, in Alexandra, K & Price, I (Eds) Managing Organisational Ecologies, New York, Routledge (in press, due Feb 2012)
Jackson, N. & Beard, C (2011) ‘A holistic model for lifewide learning’, pp 39-59, in N.Jackson (ed) Learning for a complex world: a lifewide concept of learning, curriculum, education and personal development, Autherhouse, e-books.
Beard, C (2008) Space to Learn: The Development and Evolution of New Learning Environments in Higher Education, in Enhancing Student-Centred Learning, Higher Education Academy, Business, Management, Accounting and Finance/Hospitality, Leisure, Sport, and Tourism Subject Centres, Oxford, Threshold Press. ISBN 978—903152-24-9.
Beard, C (2008) Transforming the Student Learning Experience: The Development of A Pedagogic Framework for Everyday Practice, in Enhancing Student-Centred Learning, Higher Education Academy Business, Management, Accounting and Finance/Hospitality, Leisure, Sport, and Tourism Subject Centres, Oxford, Threshold Press. ISBN 978—903152-24-9.
Beard, C (2006) The ‘Jouissance’ of Learning: Researching the Affective in Higher Education, in Wickens, E., Hose, T & Humberstone, B. Critical Issues in Leisure and Tourism Education: Current Trends and Developments in Pedagogy and Research, European Institute for Outdoor Education and Experiential Learning, Buckinghamshire. ISBN 0-9552355-1-0.
Beard, C & Wilson, J (2005) Ingredients for Effective Experiential Learning: The Learning Combination Lock, in Enhancing teaching in Higher Education: new approaches to improving student learning, Hartley, P., Woods, A & Pill, M (Eds), York, Higher Education Academy, London, Routledge-Falmer. ISBN 0-415-33529-9.
Beard, C. & Irvine, D (2005) ‘Management Training and Development: problems, paradoxes and perspectives’, in J.P.Wilson (ed), Human Resource Development, (Second Edition), Kogan Page, London pp 380-403. ISBN 0-7494-4352-9.
Beard, C. (2005) ‘The Design of Effective Group Based Training Methods’, in J.P.Wilson (ed) Human Resource Development, (Second Edition), Kogan Page, London, pp 342-364. ISBN 0-7494-4352-9.
Beard, C.M & Hartmann, R (1999) Eco-innovation: Rethinking Future Business Products and Services, in: Greener Marketing, by Charter, M & Polonsky, J , Greenleaf Publishing, Sheffield. ISBN 1-874719-14-4.
Beard, C (2003) ‘The Circle and the Square – Nature and Artificial Adventure Environments’, pp 187-198, in Humberstone, B, Brown, H, & Richards, K Whose Journeys? Where and Why? The ‘Outdoors and ‘Adventure’ as a Social and Cultural Phenomena: Critical explorations of relations between individuals, ‘others’ and the environment, Fingerprints, Barrow in Furness. ISBN 1-898555-07-9.
Ayamba, M., Beard, C., & Rotherham, I. (2002) Marketing in African and Marketing of Africa: The Challenges of Environmentalism and Sustainability. In: Dynamics of Marketing in African Nations, Greenwood Publishing. ISBN 1-56720-399-X.
Beard, C.M & Irvine, D (1999) ‘Management Training and Development: problems, paradoxes and perspectives’, pp 351-371, in J.P.Wilson (ed), Human Resource Development, Kogan Page, London. ISBN 0-7494-3050-8.
Beard, C.M & McPherson, M (1999) ‘Design of Group Based Training Methods’, pp 285-304, in J.P.Wilson (ed) Human Resource Development, Kogan Page, London. ISBN 0-7494-3050-8.
McPherson, M. & Beard, C.M (1999) ‘The Selection, design and use of individualised training methods’, pp 307-318, in J.P.Wilson (ed) Human Resource Development, Kogan Page, London. ISBN 0-7494-3050-8.
2010/2011. Funding body: Pedagogic Research Award, Higher Education Academy Network for Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism Network. Title: Experiential Conversations and PPD.
2005/2006. Funding body: Pedagogic Research Award, Higher Education Academy Network for Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism Network. Title: Student Achievement: The Role of Emotions in Motivation to Learn – Emotional Maps.
2005/2009. Funding body: Higher Education Funding Council for England. Title: NTF Fellowship Scheme: General support, and research into the Intrinsic Motivation and the Student Learning Experience.
1994/5.Award Holder: Geoff Broom. Funding body: Countryside Council for Wales. Title: Paying & Charging for Access. Government Research Contract Number FC 73-04-78.
1992. Funding body: Countryside Council for Wales. Title: The Training Development & Deployment of Access Negotiating Skills in Wales. Government Research Contract FC 73-04-20.
Small sample of (60+) Conference Keynotes – national and international
- Beard, C (2016) Sensory Intelligence, sensory signatures and the senses in event experience design, Keynote, Association of Event Management Education, 12-14 July, 2016, Derby University, Buxton Campus, Derbyshire.
- Beard, C (2016) Experiential Learning and Development, Keynote, The George P. Schultz National Foreign Affairs Training Centre, The Foreign Service Institute, United States Department of State, Arlington, VA., 23rd May, 2016.
- Beard, C (2016) Experiential Learning and Professional Development, Keynote, The First National Outdoor Educators Symposium, Ministry of Culture, Youth and Community, 10-12 May, 2016. Singapore.
- Beard, C (2015) Changing the Way We Understand How People Learn Through Experiences, Experiential Educators Conclave, Mumbai, 11-13, December 2015.
- Beard, C (2015) Innovative Pedagogies: Experiential Assessment, Teaching and Learning, Keynote speech, Taylors University Annual Learning and Teaching Conference, Kuala Lumpur, November.
- Beard, C (2015) Keynote: Experiential forms of Communicating: Mind, body, and environment connectivity. Presented at ‘Further reflections on working with personality disorder’, KUF, October 2nd, 2015, Uffculme Centre, Birmingham.
- Beard, C (2015) Innovations in Teaching & Learning, Annual Learning & Teaching Conference, East Asia Institute of Management, Singapore, August.
- Beard, C (2015) Teaching Sustainability, Annual Learning & Teaching Conference, University of St. Mark & St. John, Plymouth University, 1st July, 2015.
- Beard, C (2015) Physical, Virtual & Emotional Spaces to Learn, Annual Learning & Teaching Conference, Oxford Brookes University, 16 June.
- Beard, C (2014) Experiential Learning: an interdisciplinary perspective, Keynote, Learning Through Outdoor Activities: holistic approaches, International Mountain & Outdoor Sports Conference, Prague, Czech Republic, 20-23 November.
- Beard, C (2014) The Human Experience, Keynote, The International Conference on Events, Changing Gear, AEME Educators Forum, July 2014, Sheffield Business School, Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield, UK.
- Beard, C (2014) Guest presentation, The Events Experience, International ATLAS Conference, Sheffield Business School, Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield, UK
- Beard, C (2014) Transition and transformation: Positive emotions and passionate scholarship, Keynote Faculty of ACES LTA Annual conference, Sheffield Hallam University, September 11.
- Beard, C (2014) Experiential Learning and 21C Co-curricular Competencies, Keynote, 21C Competencies: Co-curricular and Extra-curricular Education, Ministry of Education, Singapore, 17 October 2014.
- Beard, C (2014) Pedagogic Innovation, Annual Learning and Teaching Conference, Abertay University, Dundee, Scotland, Ist October 2014.
- Beard, C (2014) Sensory Intelligence: Learning to Live Your Life, Professorial Lecture, Derby University Public Lecture, The Dome, Buxton, 23 May.
- Beard, C (2013) It is all in the mind? Thinking about Thinking, Opening Keynote, The International Conference on Experiential Learning (ICEL), Peru, S. America, 15-19th July 2013.
- Beard, C (2013) Learning and Working: Convergent Phenomena, Professorial Lecture, Derby University Public Lecture, The Dome, Buxton, 23 May.
- Beard, C (2013) Innovative and Holistic Learning, presented at Open Doors – Open Minds: Engaging with Higher Education, Keynote speech, De Montford University, Leicester, PGCHE Learning and Development Conference, Bede Island, April 19th.
- Beard, C (2013) Social Learning & Spatial Ecologies, speech/workshop at Active and Interactive Teaching and Learning Conference, Centre for Educational Development Annual Conference, Queens University Belfast, N. Ireland. 28th June, 2013.
- Beard, C (2012) How Humans Learn, Keynote at the Institute of Swimming/ASA./Swim.org Annual Tutor Conference, Crown Plaza, Nottingham.
- Beard, C (2012) Experiential Learning and Teaching, keynote given at Experience IT Together, the Inaugural Conference of the Strategic Alliance of Global Educators (SAGE), Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel, Singapore.
Beard, C (2012) Experiential Learning as Transformation, Keynote at the London Metropolitan University Annual Learning and Teaching Conference, Enabling Transformation through Learning and Teaching, London Metropolitan University, 10 th July, 2012.
Beard, C (2011) Collaboration: people, projects and spaces, Keynote on learning and development, New College Nottingham, Learning and Teaching Conference, August.
Beard, C (2011) Keynote on Learning and Teaching, Derby University Learning & Teaching Conference, Buxton.
Beard, C (2011) The role of the body in learning, Worcester University Learning & Teaching Conference Keynote.
Beard, C (2011) ‘The Role of the Senses in Learning’, Keynote at The Third Experiential Education Forum, Peking University, Beijing.
Recent refereed journal publications:
- Beard, C (2018) Learning Experience Designs (LEDs) in an age of supercomplexity: time to relace the lighbulb? in press….to be published soon in the Journal of Reflective Practice.
- Beard, C (2018) Dewey in the World of Experiential Education, New Directions for Adult & Continuing Education, Wiley, No. 158, Summer 2018.* focuses on the relevanceof Dewey in the 21st Century.
- Beard, C. & Russ, W. (2016) Event Evaluation and Design: Human Experience Mapping, Event Management: An International Journal, in press….*very valuable for programme design ideas…..
- Vaudrin-Charette, J & Beard, C (2016) Languages as (R)evolutionary Ubuntu: A Sensory Conversation on Sense-Making, Journal of the Canadian Association for Curriculum Studies, Volume 14 (1).
- Hickman, M., Beard, C. & Inkster, A. (2015). Ageing and the outdoors: Denying inevitability or perceiving an opportunity – which is the Outdoor Sector’s approach? Horizons: Professional Development for Outdoor Practitioners. 70 (Summer), 24-25.
- Hickman, M., Beard, C. & Inkster, I. (2015). Climbing through the eyes of older adults: Same activities, different meanings. The Professional Mountaineer. The Professional Journal of the Association of Mountain Instructors. Autumn, 22-24.
- Beard, C (2016) Walking at the edge: navigating the complexities of teaching and learning in higher education, Journal of Learning and Development in Higher Education, accepted/in press.
- Beard, C., Humberstone, B., & Clayton, B. (2014) Positive Emotions: Passionate Scholarship and Student Transformation, Teaching in Higher Education, 27 March.